Argh… what a struggle it was to install Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 on my laptop. I googled the issue and did not turn up any useful information. Since I figured out what the issue was, I figured this blog might come in handy for others.
Here was the error I was getting: “Error 1321: The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\VisualBasic\1033\AboutBox.zip.”
It turns out this issue is caused by the Encryption File System (EFS). To get around the issue, I performed the following steps:
- Ran the installer file (VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU.exe) up to the point I have to click OK. This step alone takes a few minutes.
- Before clicking the OK button to have the installer proceed with the installation, I snoozed the Encryption File System by clicking on Snooze on the popup menu of the Encryption File System tray icon.
- In the command line, I ran the following command to decrypt the files in the “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8″ path: C:\>cipher /A /D /S:”C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8”
- I clicked OK on the installer to let it proceed with the installation of service pack 1.
- The installer ran for a while, and eventually completed the installation successfully.
Voila. That was it. Let this entry be useful to someone else.